“How do I know I need a new roof?” It’s probably the most common question that we hear as roofers in Columbus. And folks who ask it usually know that they need a new roof; they’re just hoping that it can make it a bit longer before replacement becomes critical. Maybe the roof leaks when it rains, or the shingles are looking bare. Here’s what we tell our customers.
- Age. Depending on weather conditions, an Ohio roof usually lasts somewhere around 20 years – not as long as the material warranty in most cases. Once a roof has hit that mark, it’s time to start keeping a serious eye out for signs of deterioration.
- Shingle grit. As shingles age and dry out, the granules that cover them start to loosen. This leads to excess grit washing off and collecting in the gutters and driveway, especially after a storm. However, if you have a new roof, it’s normal for some of the granules to wash away, so don’t worry.
- Dark spots. Dark spots can be caused by several different things; the most common is algae. Algae spores are deposited on a roof by rain and begin to grow or colonize; when the roof dries out, the algae goes dormant and discolors. If left unchecked, algae can even cause the shingle to deteriorate and leak.
- Curled or missing shingles. Curling shingles are a sign that shingles are completely worn out, or can be symptomatic of bigger issues. Missing shingles usually result from heavy winds that pull up several shingles and should be replaced immediately.
- Signs of water damage or leaking. Water damage can show up on the ceiling, along the walls or in the insulation of your attic. Any sign of water should be addressed by a professional immediately to prevent further damage.
Obviously, it’s advisable not to let your roof get to the point that it leaks, especially with Columbus’s unpredictable weather. That’s why Muth & Company developed our exclusive Care & Maintenance Plan. Our plan includes an annual complete roof inspection and tune-up. After we climb and inspect your roof, we’ll let you know if there are any issues, and what to look out for in the future.
Don’t be left guessing about the condition of your Columbus roof. Muth & Company Roofing will give you an honest assessment and a plan to keep it in the best possible condition, whether that involves a simple repair or a complete replacement. Give us a call at (614) 682-3060 today!